On the 17th August, 1856, eight Freemasons from three lodges; Australia Felix (697),Lodge of Australasia and Lodge No 84, meet at the Swan Hotel in Gertrude Street, Collingwood.
This was an interesting time for the Colony of Victoria, as in 1851, Victoria was proclaimed a separate colony from New South Wales, but it was not until 1856 that the Victorian Parliament sat for the first time, the same time as the Lodge was formed.
The lodge took its name from that great English Admiral, Baron Cuthbert Collingwood(1750-1810), who fought alongside Lord Nelson at Trafalgar and became the British commander after Nelsons’ death.
Dispensation from the Provincial Grand lodge of New South Wales was granted to form ‘The Collingwood Lodge’ and was read to a meeting of the Australia Felix Lodge on the 3rd November 1856.
And so began a proud tradition that has stretched well over 155 years. After one and a half centuries, its traditions and spirit continue on with charitable involvement ranging from; financing children to Diabetic Australia camps, bikes for Cottage by the Sea, instigating new scholarships at Box Hill TAFE College (in the memory of a long standing member) for deserving students and even assisting with charity works with school kids in East Timor.
The Lodge changed its name in 1886, as part of the move to the Collins Street Temple. It was then known as “The Admiral Collingwood Lodge” No. 13. It has since met at 300 Albert Street until 2001 and at the Kew Temple until 2008.
Our current home is at the beautiful Ivalda Temple in Darebin, Victoria. Visitors are always welcome!
With our Membership continuing to grow the Lodge is busy and has great fun filled suppers and hosts some very worthwhile Community Service Projects both locally and overseas!